History of AQG
New York State
The Amherst Quilters Guild (AMQG) was founded in 1975 with about a dozen quilters as one of the first folk art groups at the Amherst Museum. At that time, quilting was starting to make a comeback and few quilters and even fewer books and resource materials were available. Since then our membership has grown to over 125 quilters from all over New York, Canada, Texas and Florida.
Over 37 years, our guild has grown, and we welcome all levels of quilters from novice to experts! We are all drawn together by our love of quilting and each of us has something to teach and share with one another.
We welcome your inquiries about membership and encourage you to come as a guest to one of our monthly guild meetings, held the third Thursday each month, at 7 PM at the Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village, located at 3755 Tonawanda Creek Road, Amherst, NY 14228.
Our primary goal is to enhance the interest, knowledge and skills of quilting and to share ideas, expertise and fellowship among guild members.
We strive to further the craft and perpetuate the art of quilting by presenting related programs and events. Since we also are an extension of Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village [formerly the Amherst Museum], we support their goals and objectives as well.
- Biennial Quilt Show - held in spring of even numbered years. The next show will be held on April 22-24, 2016.
Click here for more information
- Quilting Seminar - NOTE: The next seminar will not be held until September 2016
- Committees - provide numerous opportunities for community service and a greater appreciation of the quilter's craft.
- Raffle Quilt - created every other year (even years) and given away at our 2016 Quilting Seminar
- Quilting Demonstrations - at the Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village and during community special events
- Library - maintains an extensive collection of quilting books, videos, and templates for Guild members. The items are sorted by
Title and Author. These lists are for your convenience only. Items must be checked out and returned in person.
Charitable contributions to the community include supporting Charity Quilts, Historic Homes, Hospitality, Quilts for Courage, and Quilts for Troops.
Become a Member
- Monthly meetings are held at the Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village, 3755 Tonawanda Creek Road, Amherst, NY 14228. on the third (3rd) Thursday of each month at 7:00 PM
- Guild dues which includes Buffalo Niagara Heritage membership are Thirty Dollars ($30.00) per calendar year. Please visit the Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village page for